The difficult year has not stopped fantastic local people becoming winners and excelling in sport.
The annual Ealing Sports Awards is aimed at recognising the talents and achievements of the borough’s multitude of sports clubs, inspirational volunteers and fantastic sporting individuals.
Councillor Bassam Mahfouz, Ealing Council’s cabinet member for finance and leisure, said: “This year, more than any other, has shown us the critical importance of sports on our lives, not only on our collective physical health, but the crucial role it plays in improving our mental health as a participant or even a spectator.
“Whilst, in past years, we have come together to celebrate both the Ealing
Sports Awards and the performances at the London Youth Games. Sadly, this year, the pandemic has curtailed the winter season and much of the summer sports season.
“We hope that we can all come together again to celebrate these achievements in person at our Awards evening next year.”
The 2020 Ealing Sports Awards winners were as follows:
- Adult Volunteer of the Year – Andrea Gooden
- Adult Sports Person of the Year – Alice Tai
- Junior Volunteer of the Year – Mohammad Tanjin
- Inclusive and Active award – Mark Bullock
- Junior Club of the Year – Acton Ealing Whistlers FC and London Tigers Multi Sports Club
- Junior Sports Person of the Year – Patris Mughalzai
- Coach of the Year – Jo Crowley
- Sports Club of the Year – Ealing Cricket Club
- Outstanding Contribution to Sport Award – John Wotherspoon
New sports hub
Gunnersbury Park Sports Hub has been completed, with the final touches having been added to the new sports hall, complementing the outdoor facilities that have been added recently (from football and tennis to fishing).