If you are a local employer, have you thought about making your business bike friendly for your staff?
Becoming bike friendly and encouraging cycle commuting can:
- Help improve staff health, reduce absenteeism and boost productivity. On average, employees who cycle-commute take at least one day a year less off sick than colleagues who do not cycle to work, while car commuters are at least 13% more likely to feel constantly under strain or unable to concentrate than those who cycle or walk to work
- Reduce your company’s transport, parking and taxi costs if staff use their bikes for work trips
- Reduce disruption to your business when the public transport network isn’t working
- Lessen congestion at peak times, which is good for your customers and suppliers, which is better for business
- Help you recruit good people, who will be impressed with your attitude towards staff travel
- Help mitigate your company’s impact on the local and wider environment, which will help to enhance your business’s reputation.
Become a bike friendly business
- Free training – people working in Ealing are entitled to free cycle training, provided by Cycle Training UK on behalf of Ealing Council. If you think your staff could benefit, why not let them know about the free training available
- Free bike maintenance – there are Dr Bike cycle maintenance session in the borough every week. Let your staff know about these free sessions to make sure their bikes are safe and well maintained
- Tax free bikes – sign up to a cycle scheme – which is free for employers to join, and will enable your staff to buy a bike and safety equipment like locks and lights tax free
- Cycle infrastructure – there is a lot of advice available about what facilities cyclists might find helpful. For bigger companies you might want to consider contacting the London Cycling Campaign for site-specific advice.